Monday, September 22, 2008

Decorating Nightmare

I need your help and opinion...please!!!! I am helping Ed decorate the Therapeutic Boarding School and Home he is opening. Everything is going pretty well and I really like and somewhat enjoy decorating, but there is one room that I am stumped on. I am at a loss at what direction to go. This is a picture of the Foyer. This is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. The problem is the stinkin floor. The floors in the foyer are marble white and black tiles. The white has light veins of burgundy in them. The walls are burgundy. The finish work, trims, baseboards are white. As you walk in the door there are stairs going to the right and left with natural wood banisters. The room is deep, but only 15 feet 8 inches wide, so the furniture has to be a smaller scale because to the right and left it is a traffic way, doors going into different areas of the home which are not shown in the picture. The floor transitions to bamboo in one room, travertine in another and also carpet, not consistent at all. I have received differing opinions, most everyone says I have to go contemporary because of the black and white tiles. The home is far from contemporary, the outside is a French Country/Italian Villa look. Do I have to go with black furniture? Originally we placed a dark brown/espresso colored couch, with 2 club chairs of the same color and leather. It looks ok, but I'm not convinced. We found this really cute settee. The wood is a very dark brown, but not black. The fabric are different prints, one being a leopard print, super cute, but not sure if it will fit in because of the dark brown wood. If we go with the settee, should we get 2 settees and have them face each other? If we go with one settee, we need two chairs, but what kind of chairs and fabrics do we pair this multicolored settee with? Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Foyer
Settee
Club chair in leather/dark brown

5 comments:

Jacquie Dunton said...

Hiya,have you thought about using white painted Louis style furniture. It would create a lighter feminine look to contrast with your imposing hallway. Take a look at http//:www.sweetpeaandwillow.com/catalog/

Cami said...

I can't believe you are seeking help! You are such a talented interior decorator...I loved to go to your home for ideas. :)
First of all, I LOVE the topiaries! I wish I had some great suggestion. When I looked at the picture, I thought there needed to be an area rug to define the space. It would take just the right rug to go with the different patterns and colors in the room, but I bet you could find one that would work. It is hard to tell without seeing all of the surrounding areas. I love it because you did it! I have never seen anything that you have decorated that doesn't look fabulous. Good luck!
P.S. I think the furniture works.

Shane and Ashley Richins said...

I am probably the WORST person to give decorating advice but how about a red damask wallpaper. Is that French looking? Here is what I found on ebay (of course)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wallpaper-NEW-coleman-red-burgandy-damask-style_W0QQitemZ160284753631QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160284753631&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Linda Winegar said...

Wow!!! That room looks cool. You must be directing your questions, to your more creative and crafty friends but, I'll answer anyways. ;) When I first saw the room, I thought, "hm...that marble floor reminds me of Breaking Dawn." LOL don't laugh at me. You could go with a vampire shabby chic look and get a cute black chandelier with crystals and get cute black furniture and leave the walls the same color. Use burgundy accent pillows for the couch to tie in the wall color. Well, that's my idea, I am sure you'll think of something waaaayyy amazing. I should be asking you what to do with my house. There's a cute shop in AF passing the Temple (I forgot the name, but I think Talina knows it) where they have a ton of the stuff I am picturing. Good luck, hope it's not too late.

Jolley's said...

Hi Yolanda! I happened across your blog, I'm so glad because now I can keep up with you and all my good AG friends...:)

Anyways, I too always love your decorating and love where your going with this room. One idea I had though was to go with the area rug idea. We have all wood floors in our main floor and I wanted something to warm it up and so I found a carpet remnant shop and had them bind the carpet for a rug in my family room . The carpet rug is HUGE (it litterally covers almost the whole floor) and I think it cost me around $200 to do it that way. Just an idea. And I'm not even sure what type of carpet you could find, but good luck! What you've done so far looks amazing!

MIchelle Jolley