Tuesday, October 27, 2009
The following Saturday, Jessica picked me up and another gal, Judy and we went up to American Fork Canyon. Jessica is an amazing instructor. She really took the time to teach me the "ropes" (haha, I couldn't resist). She didn't do for me, she actually taught me about knots, terms, and answered all my questions. She made it look so easy, made me feel at ease and offered amazing encouragement. She praised my strength and abilities, which made me feel amazing. She said the yoga was definitely paying off. Pointed out that I had done a more advanced move, "a mantle" (look it up). I felt on top of the world, okay, on top of a big rock. I enjoyed it thoroughly and it is something I would really like to do more of. However, I did mention to her, that I may be a fair weather climber, because it was so cold!
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Monday, October 19, 2009
I have not had a chance to post about my Ragnar Relay adventure, because I have been crazy busy since I got home. I am still feeling a lot of excitement and energy about it 10 days later. It is such a mix of the most challenging thing I have ever done combined with the funnest thing ever (I must have a hole in my head). It is a very interesting feeling.
My top 12 memories about Ragnar Las Vegas:
- The 11 friends for life that I have made through this whole experience: Cheryl, Melanie, Christine, Laura, Kellie, Tifany, Rachel, Libby, Jaime, Wendy and Lisa. I think you are all amazing! You are REAL women.
- Boom Boom Pow
- Laura and pumping. That is dedication.
- Kellie hyped up on energy supplements, and a fractured femur! Amazing!!
- My 3rd run, being 4.4 miles instead of 4 and wondering if I was lost and it taking me me over an hour because I had to wait through at least 8 traffic lights that took 2-3 minutes each.
- Having to pee in a really nice neighborhood in Henderson and getting bit by something on my bum while doing so.
- Melanie running her 3rd leg, just after spending a whole night throwing up. Way to go!
- Christine and Cheryl's completely uphill runs!
- At our 1st rest stop, just laughing, talking, everyone letting their guard down and being themselves.
- The meltdown on Friday night. Not my most shining moment, I apologize for my less than civil behavior and language.
- The confirmation that you can conquer your physical and mental limitations when you set your mind to it.
- Cheering on and providing support for our other half of the team. I'm bummed we couldn't all be in the same vehicle.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
September is birthday month for both boys. Ryan turned 14 and Brennan turned 7. Time flies, it doesn't seem that long ago that they were both little babes. I enjoy these boys so much. They bring me so much joy. I'm not going to lie that it's joyful all the time. It's getting harder as they get older, it's mentally and emotionally exhausting, but very rewarding.
My September has also been filled with "pounding the pavement", or in my case, mostly "pounding the treadmill" which has resulted in a pounding of my poor body. I really had not let too many people know because then it would become too real and I was in denial about the craziness I had got myself into... I have been training to run in the Ragnar Relay Las Vegas in early October. The training mileage and time has really kicked up in September and I have been exhausted and a big complainer about how much pain I am in. These past 2 weeks have been really hard, with some serious doubts about my ability to do this physically and emotionally. I don't know what I was thinking?!? I am scared, excited, nervous, anxious....I am a jumble of nerves. My team is all women, mostly novice runners that I just met (except one person). I met some of them for the first time a couple weeks ago and will meet the rest the week of the race. Wish me luck and keep me in your prayers, I'm gonna need them!
In September we also got to go to The Killers concert with our friends Chad and Nissa. It was awesome. It was such a good show. I loved the energy of the crowd and that Brandon Flowers is a cutie. I think The Killers have made my Top 10 list of bands. Thanks Nissa for getting us the AWESOME seats, you ROCK!
I feel very fortunate to have made some wonderful friends over the past few years. In September, I either got to lunch, dine or dessert with each one of them. I always enjoy the time I spend with them and the opportunity to reconnect. I feel especially lucky because I feel like this past month I reached new levels of friendship with each of these women and I love how our friendships have evolved. Each one of them has been there for me in one way or another. I feel like I can come to them with anything. In many friendships, I have felt abandoned, and you gals have stuck with me, in both good times and extremely difficult times. Kiki, Nissa and Christine, thanks for taking care of me! I hope I can be as good a friend to you, as you are to me.
We started off our labor day weekend with a vist to the ballpark. I love baseball and there is nothing better than going to the ballpark on a warm summer's night, having a hot dog, spending time with the boys, letting them fill up on junk food and watching men in tight pants.
After the game, Brennan got to run the bases, which he was pretty excited about.
(check out Brennan in black shirt and cap smoke the other kids)
Brennan finished off his soccer season. This was his first year that he played and it was way fun to see him in action. He started to lose interest towards the end of the season, we are having a tough time finding something that he will stick to. I hope he will want to play next year.