Thursday, July 30, 2009

Learning about Faith

I have to post this cute story/incident before I forget. Yesterday, Brennan broke out with a little rash around his lips and cheek. It was suspicious looking so I checked his body. I told him I was checking for chicken pox. I told him if he got sick we would have to stay home instead of going to the Lake. I told him he looked okay, but that we would keep on eye on things.
I guess he must have been really concerned about it because that night as Ed was helping him get to bed and helping him say his prayers he told Ed he wanted a blessing. He said, I want the "oil blessing" (for my non-Latter-day Saint friends, Brennan asked for a blessing with consecrated oil - a Priesthood holder consecrates pure olive oil for its holy purpose of anointing the sick or afflicted). Ed proceeded to give Brennan a blessing. Ed recounted the event to me because I wasn't around when this was going on, but he said it was very special and an amazing experience for him as a Father and Priesthood holder. When Ed told me about this, I started to cry because I was so impressed that Brennan would know to ask for a blessing and also that Ed is able to give him a blessing. I felt so humbled by Brennan's faith, by the Priesthood Authority and the great blessing it is to learn from our children. I thought the teaching moment was over...
This morning when Brennan woke up and came downstairs, he was really bummed out and came right up to me and said,
Brennan: "It didn't work"
Me: "What didn't work?"
Brennan: "The blessing"
Me: "What do you mean it didn't work?"
Brennan: (pointing to his cheek) "See, they are still there!"
Me: (looking closely at his cheek) "Yup, they are still there, but they look a lot better"
Brennan: "Yes, but it didn't work, they are still there!"
We then proceeded to have a conversation about Faith and the workings of our Heavenly Father (mind you, I'm still trying to figure out the workings of our Heavenly Father). Regardless, what an amazing teaching moment for him and for me. I have no doubt that Heavenly Father gives us what we need, when we need it most and in the most inspired ways.

2 comments:

Cami said...

Thanks for sharing that sweet story. The faith of a child is amazing!

LindaW said...

That was soooo touching. Of course he'd know to ask for a blessing, you guys are such great parents and I bet you taught him that during FHE. :) I'm almost to tears just thinking of how special that Father & son moment was. And then the Mom and son moment. It's totally how it's meant to be, Father performs his Priesthood responsibilities and then Mom backs it up with some gospel instruction. You're awesome for being able to share with him your knowledge. You know what that situation reminds me of? this month's VT message. If we educate ourselves with gospel truths, then we can help our children. Maybe it's cause I have read the message several times now and just have those things on my mind. Way to go Yolanda!